Today didn't go like I thought

Punchy

Slacker Supreme
Yesterday after picking up the kids the CRV started acting weird. Radio turned itself off and on a couple of times, random dash lights went on and off on their own, speedo and tach went to zero and back to normal. I suspected low voltage, as I had a similar thing happen in a previous car but that one was even weirder lol. So I get up this morning and head toward the local AutoZone figuring it'll make it since it's only a few miles.

I was wrong.

Pulled off the highway, hiked home, grabbed the wife's car and some tools, got the battery out (almost 6 years old), went to AutoZone for the new battery, got it installed, drove home, got a ride back to the CRV, drove it up to Autozone for a charging system check, alternator is kaput. So. . . buy an alternator (same model as I installed 4 years ago, only one they keep in stock) and spent the rest of the day getting it installed while doing my best to not use the bum arm. I'm tired and sore, but it's back to running smooth as butter, and I'm hoping they'll give me my money back when I return the core since it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty.

Can't complain too much, she's got over 225k miles, but man I do not like working in such cramped quarters :lol:
 
That's a PITA.
I've never replaced an alternator in a CRV but I imagine there's about as much room as a shoebox to get your wrenches in there to pull the old one and bolt in the new one.

Anymore, I just take my vehicles in for service. Yeah, it'll cost you, but you're not sore at the end of it, you don't bust up your knuckles, don't have to worry if you have the right tools, etc....
I used to do my own brakes and the brakes on all my kids' cars. Last time I did it, I was sore for DAYS. Worth paying somebody the $250 to do it.
Plus, I don't have to find the fucking C-clamps and the socket wrench extension and then bringing the calipers (or whatever) back to get my core charge back, get fluid all over the driveway, etc...nevermind that you need a heated shop 8 months out of the year up here to work in. Ever try to use a ratchet wrench that's been sitting in the garage when it's -20F outside? Fuck that shit. I had to replace a battery recently, and even that took 3 times as long as it should have and I was worried I had frostbite at the end of it.
Curious how you installed an alternator and tightened the belt using one arm. Bet that sucked. You must have wedged something into the bracket to put pressure on it. Gee, what could go wrong? LOL.

Getting old sucks.
Good on you for getting it fixed.
 
Last edited:
That's a PITA.
I've never replaced an alternator in a CRV but I imagine there's about as much room as a shoebox to get your wrenches in there to pull the old one and bolt in the new one.

Anymore, I just take my vehicles in for service. Yeah, it'll cost you, but you're not sore at the end of it, you don't bust up your knuckles, don't have to worry if you have the right tools, etc....
I used to do my own brakes and the brakes on all my kids' cars. Last time I did it, I was sore for DAYS. Worth paying somebody the $250 to do it.
Plus, I don't have to find the fucking C-clamps and the socket wrench extension and then bringing the calipers (or whatever) back to get my core charge back, get fluid all over the driveway, etc...nevermind that you need a heated shop 8 months out of the year up here to work in. Ever try to use a ratchet wrench that's been sitting in the garage when it's -20F outside? Fuck that shit. I had to replace a battery recently, and even that took 3 times as long as it should have and I was worried I had frostbite at the end of it.
Curious how you installed an alternator and tightened the belt using one arm. Bet that sucked. You must have wedged something into the bracket to put pressure on it. Gee, what could go wrong? LOL.

Getting old sucks.
Good on you for getting it fixed.

Well, I probably used my left arm more than I should have, but yeah, the tensioner was the hardest part.

I miss my Rabbit lol.
 
Back
Top