Anyone here keep a bearded dragon?

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
NO PARODIES!!!

I've decided a dog would have been a terrible idea due to time constraints with work and so on.

I kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind of like the idea of a cat but I already have a girlfriend that swans around thinking she owns the place and is smarter than me so don't need to add another :embarrassed:

Which leads me to checing out bearded dragons. I've got a bit of space I've been wanting to do something with for ages and a good sized viv would be ideal. Did a bit of reading and they seem like pretty cool and sociable animals and the missus seems quite cool on the idea.

Anyone got one?

My roommate in gradschool had one. He also had a shit ton of snakes and other stuff. (PhD student in herpetology) The bearded dragon was neat to look at and he managed to escape from his tank on a regular basis. They're pretty docile and don't seem to mind being handled.

If you're looking for a pet to interact with, a reptile isn't a great choice in my opinion. They're neat to look at and show off and handling them can be interesting. But don't expect much personality or bonding to take place. You probably already know that though.

They don't get very big, a huge vivarium might be wasted on a bearded. Unless you got more than one? If i recall correctly, my rooommate kept his in something that was approx 2' wide by 3' tall and maybe 1' or 1.5' deep. He had something in there that ran from top to bottom for the bearded to climb around on, looked like drift wood but may have been plastic.

I kept two iguanas for a few years and they were boring as shit after the first month or two. Smelly too despite frequent cage cleanings.

Leopard Geckos are pretty nice as well (although they have an annoying habit of trying to sell you car insurance in a Cockney accent...)

I think a chameleon would be pretty cool. I had a nice moment with this one. I couldn't tell if he lunged at me because he wanted to be my friend or because he wanted to kick my ass.

1483116_10104011749194330_1831413044_n.jpg

I kinda like the idea of vivs... if I did one I would go for dendrobates (the little tropical frogs).

Mrs. Roach is dead opposed to that sort of critter in the house though, and even more so the bugs that would have to be raised to feed 'em. :tongue:

I've seen a few bearded clams over the years.

They're always fun to play with, but they'll turn on you in a second.

Back