Argh! Setting the intonation on this bridge is playing havoc with my dyslexia.

BlackCat

American Greaser
I had treatment when I was a kid and I'm fully functional. But there's something about these opposing setscrews that sets my teeth on edge. They make my brain feel very uncomfortable.


OLSdNxt8SFwJE9BiSqIfzCyNbCE2wd2yeL1shDr0RZEUznRDG1TdtsGtLD0aRyOAD9oHppq3L0S6bdd88aX08_LeWK4zqrpfcRWmiqo-MfBFPKoc2zCWI9pwWMDS_acoqDFykR5Lsm5Ht7BspPGRRmgQ6A5OUCL8G-wsOtlRiAm-49-xhMAgbrUSMb1jBcmIDxFzEKE2xbGs0d-9gxfQxwiVPqjdFhLBQAzyvwEeo3UuvafoZNybFSTddItedjdn0mYuOM4sb94Aytj2fZBVwtaOLRD6-x1swZ-jZBO4ZkJQPT7u9jqV2Vfusv1oq6FPKId3mgTnacpStcYiCJF6SQPbwXa1_FC97y5Lm-S0eOYMM-4TiYU_udbwYsg3rNQr6v9_zmXsy5JVRfmqzKpYNm-Es3hS8Pias5WURM2JvpwwNszatrzfviIm1NEihw2eWPGWmIT2MWhTjY5ujp367TBkrDN8uteXW9Tu7ElwtPmkvfgvvKS1l-gxqnutjc7DjEohS5_xXWV4_rMLXwXa85xo4dsjLZrKDmOdmAocR6gCqBv7JL-ta6EYL8xsZkpNZE9HpzSk3pIdztaklgi72RnzvG04PNI=w1378-h775-no


I'm really not crazy about this bridge design. You have to move the strings out of the way to adjust the saddles. I might like to try something different at some point.
 
Last edited:
I can't see the picture!

WHY CAN'T I SEE THE PICTURE?

I'm guessing you're at work and they probably have Google Photos blocked on the firewall. I have the same problem with some photo hosting sites where I work. Anyway here it is direct from MWGL.

crapabridge.jpg
 
So just eyeballing it do you think it looks right? I had to max out the mounting post adjustments to get the saddles in the middle of their range.


crapabridge2.jpg
 
I'm guessing you're at work and they probably have Google Photos blocked on the firewall. I have the same problem with some photo hosting sites where I work. Anyway here it is direct from MWGL.

View attachment 28683

I don't think thats the problem. I couldn't see the pics in the first post, from inside a Google building. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Google doesn't block Google, or I couldn't get a damn thing done.
 
I don't think thats the problem. I couldn't see the pics in the first post, from inside a Google building. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Google doesn't block Google, or I couldn't get a damn thing done.

We'll that was the most likely scenario I could think of. Maybe it's my privacy settings in Google but I thought I had the Photos app wide open.
 
i'm not sure that 'eye balling it' is the way to go. are you using a tuner? play the string open, make sure it's in tune, then do a 12th fret chime and see if the chime is in tune. if not, THEN adjust the saddle.
 
i'm not sure that 'eye balling it' is the way to go. are you using a tuner? play the string open, make sure it's in tune, then do a 12th fret chime and see if the chime is in tune. if not, THEN adjust the saddle.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. I didn't try to set the intonation by eye. I used a tuner.
 
If they're working then okay... but if you tighten both set screws on the outside posts to get the bridge out away from the posts a bit, you'll have a little more wiggle room for each saddle.

When pre-setting the saddle locations before using a tuner, I generally set everything to scale length + the thickness of a string except for the D being closer to the pickups than the G. Then intonate with harmonics and fretted notes from there.
 
If they're working then okay... but if you tighten both set screws on the outside posts to get the bridge out away from the posts a bit, you'll have a little more wiggle room for each saddle.

When pre-setting the saddle locations before using a tuner, I generally set everything to scale length + the thickness of a string except for the D being closer to the pickups than the G. Then intonate with harmonics and fretted notes from there.

I started with the post adjustments in the middle but then ran out travel room on the saddles.
 
I started with the post adjustments in the middle but then ran out travel room on the saddles.

I would tighten both outer set screws... it will move all the treble ones closer and all the bass ones further away, and give you more room to move each saddle around.
 
I don't like that post set-up at all. The bridge itself can move around, it looks like. There's your problem :embarrassed:
 
Something from waaaaay back says that the fat E string should be the same distance from nut to 12th as 12th to saddle.

That is a good starting point.
 
Back
Top