Boston. Wassup wit dat city? Wat 2 do?

Im currently playing the PC game 'Assassins Creed 3' and I'm in Boston. Set in er, 17… Its under British control and its amazing to see the city recreated in such detail. The Old State House is in the centre and the place is patrolled by British Army soldiers. Its amazing the detail they've put into the old city and they must have spent a hell of a lot of time researching it as it looks and feels fantastic.

Ive been to Boston three times and I love the place. I somehow feel very at home there. In fact I think its time it was won back for Queen and country.

God Save the Queen etc etc

NT+-+Lion+and+Unicorn.jpg

Im currently playing the PC game 'Assassins Creed 3' and I'm in Boston. Set in er, 17… Its under British control and its amazing to see the city recreated in such detail. The Old State House is in the centre and the place is patrolled by British Army soldiers. Its amazing the detail they've put into the old city and they must have spent a hell of a lot of time researching it as it looks and feels fantastic.

Ive been to Boston three times and I love the place. I somehow feel very at home there. In fact I think its time it was won back for Queen and country.

God Save the Queen etc etc

NT+-+Lion+and+Unicorn.jpg
Most. Helpful. Poast. Evar.

are you here on April 18-20? the weekend of the Marathon? do you have rooms booked? the city will be packed.

I'm planning on getting in a bit early, getting a car at the airport, then driving to Walden Pond to pay homage and read a few passages.
Walden Pond was an eye opener for me. First, it is huge; much bigger than I expected. First time I went was in winter. Second time was in summer and they have a public beach there; I wondered how Henry would have reacted to all the half-naked people cavorting around. There is a replica cabin woth seeing; you can also see a pile of stones that Branson Alcott put up to mark the spot where the cabin stood. Right nearby you can see the actual spot where it stood. In April you may be able to reflect in peace.

are you here on April 18-20? the weekend of the Marathon? do you have rooms booked? the city will be packed.

That was the originally planned weekend before I realized it was the same as the marathon. Im talking to the guys about moving it now. Im not really into crowds, rooms charging extra, flights charging extra, packed reastaurants and bars, etc.

I'm seeing what they think about the May 1st weekend now. I'd enjoy rooting for the Yankees to lose about as much as rooting for the Orioles to win anyway. Haha.

a wise choice.

The Freedom Trail is good. But I think the Constitution is closed for the foreseeable future for renovation.

Go to the North End for dinner one night. Don't go to Mike's, Modern Pastry (across the street is better) is better.

MFA is obviously great, but pricey. If you've got nice weather, save it for next time. unless there's something you really want to see.

I would think you'd be able to get tix to a Sox game. The Yankee's aren't the hot ticket that they used to be.

and we don't talk funny. you do.

a wise choice.

The Freedom Trail is good. But I think the Constitution is closed for the foreseeable future for renovation.

Go to the North End for dinner one night. Don't go to Mike's, Modern Pastry (across the street is better) is better.

MFA is obviously great, but pricey. If you've got nice weather, save it for next time. unless there's something you really want to see.

I would think you'd be able to get tix to a Sox game. The Yankee's aren't the hot ticket that they used to be.

and we don't talk funny. you do.
So's werma able ta pahk ma cah?

Camden Yards (Baltimore) is close to you and certainly won't be a let down. Beautiful park.

I've driven by it a couple of times (going to see bands in Baltimore) and it looks cool, but Fenway was the coolest sports facility I have ever been too. I never thought I would like a stadium more than RFK until I went there (which is kind of funny because the Skins played their games at Fenway when they were a Boston team). I should probably go to Camden at some point as well as a Nats game (I still can't believe I haven't made it to one of those).

:hd:

by all means, if you like crowded tourist traps.

the only reason to be near there at all is because you're on your way to the North End.

Ive been three times, the first time was during the summer, billions of people and almost impossible to get down that long food bit inside the market and possibly a bit too full of tourists for some.

However I've also been there during the week in the springtime and during December and it was totally different. Very quiet and totally different. I spent my time watching and listening to a Vietnam veteran lecturing two school kids about sacrifice and how they had it so good now. He looked crazy so they just stood and listened. Funny as hell.

The best thing though happened as I was was just strolling through the city centre. I assume lots of people living in Boston arnt from Boston originally as I didn't hear much of the accent until I heard a very loud woman across the street. At first I thought she was mental but she had a uniform on and was at a bus stop. She was clearly working for the bus company. She was maaaaaad with someone and was yelling down the phone in a fantastic Boston accent. I stood there watching for about five minutes. It was better than the Freedom trail.

I then hired a car and drove to Bar Harbor (work thing). As it was late I stopped on the way there at a Motel (hard to find one open in December). This was easily three hours north of Boston but the owner was from there and we sat and chatted at the reception for ages. I was the only customer. I remember him asking me how to say 'Shire' as in 'Yorkshire' and me explaining that it was different to just the word Shire on its own.

Jesus how boring does that sound? It was fun actually.

The next day I set off for my drive to Bar Harbor. I had no sat nav so stopped in some small town to ask directions. I asked in a small corner shop but the guy behind the counter just stared at me. He then mumbled something about 'ill call Steve' or something.

Two minutes later I was surrounded by baseball cap wearing rednecks. Is that right? Can you have Rednecks in New England? They all looked crazy and I could barely understand a word. I was looking for a direction to run should any of them pull out a knife or a penis. In the end though it seems I was just a silly foreigner panicking too much. I was told to head for the Turnpike and head North on the ……
I remember standing there next to my car, surrounded by crazy looking men (about 8, I'm not joking) all discussing where "Ba Haba"was, (apparently I sound 'funny') with me thinking 'what the FUCK is a Turnpike, a piece of farm machinery?

Anyway, I finally got going and hours later made it to my destination. Ive seen quite a bit of New England and as a Englishman, I can tell you it looks quite a lot like England.

Thanks for listening.

Back