Brian Krashpad
T1N2bM0
So this last weekend was my 50th high school reunion.
One of my classmates is in a cover band up in Jax where we went to school (technically Neptune Beach, but nobody knows where that is). She knew I played in bands from facebook, so she asked me to sit in with them for the Friday night informal meet-and-greet (which was basically their weekly gig) at a local bar and grill on the Intracoastal. I looked over their set list and chose the 2 most basic rockers I could find, Johnny B. Good, and Wild Thing, haha. They actually apparently combine the latter with Louie, Louie in their usual set, and I kept waiting for that to happen when we played, but it never did.
I brought my old Marshall 5275 "75 Reverb," a 1980s 75W solid state 1x12 combo. Loud, simple, small, indestructible, easily capable of playing un-mic'd on stage volume only. For a lead boost I also brought the Joyo British Sound that I recently bought from an online pal.
Guitars were my Gibson SGJ and my most recently-acquired Squier Paranormal Cabronita (in reserve, stayed in gigbag).
Although this whole shebang had massive train wreckery potential, in point of fact it went way better than I'd expected and even hoped for. During the Chuck Berry number I broke out the behind-head stuff, which fortunately the band had a sense of humor about, and conversely the crowd totally ate up. Here's some pix by better half and others in attendance.
Link to short viddy from Chuck Berry song:

11 reactions · 3 comments | Karen Smith on Reels
Fave part of video: you can hear the woman videographer's husband, who apparently goes by "Hillbilly Smith," say to her "Lookit that guy back 'ere playin' git-tar!"
Payment: a shit-ton of attaboys, back-pats, and fist-bumps, both immediately afterward, and the following night at the more formal dinner. Oh, and some random Asian woman asked if she could get a photo with me, haha. Also, pretty much destroyed that "Weren't you a shy guy in high school?" vibe.
One of my classmates is in a cover band up in Jax where we went to school (technically Neptune Beach, but nobody knows where that is). She knew I played in bands from facebook, so she asked me to sit in with them for the Friday night informal meet-and-greet (which was basically their weekly gig) at a local bar and grill on the Intracoastal. I looked over their set list and chose the 2 most basic rockers I could find, Johnny B. Good, and Wild Thing, haha. They actually apparently combine the latter with Louie, Louie in their usual set, and I kept waiting for that to happen when we played, but it never did.
I brought my old Marshall 5275 "75 Reverb," a 1980s 75W solid state 1x12 combo. Loud, simple, small, indestructible, easily capable of playing un-mic'd on stage volume only. For a lead boost I also brought the Joyo British Sound that I recently bought from an online pal.
Guitars were my Gibson SGJ and my most recently-acquired Squier Paranormal Cabronita (in reserve, stayed in gigbag).
Although this whole shebang had massive train wreckery potential, in point of fact it went way better than I'd expected and even hoped for. During the Chuck Berry number I broke out the behind-head stuff, which fortunately the band had a sense of humor about, and conversely the crowd totally ate up. Here's some pix by better half and others in attendance.
Link to short viddy from Chuck Berry song:

11 reactions · 3 comments | Karen Smith on Reels
Fave part of video: you can hear the woman videographer's husband, who apparently goes by "Hillbilly Smith," say to her "Lookit that guy back 'ere playin' git-tar!"
Payment: a shit-ton of attaboys, back-pats, and fist-bumps, both immediately afterward, and the following night at the more formal dinner. Oh, and some random Asian woman asked if she could get a photo with me, haha. Also, pretty much destroyed that "Weren't you a shy guy in high school?" vibe.
