What do I look for? Fender Twin Reverb

MonkeyZero

Mexican Mayonnaise Weiner Sandwich
There is a used Fender Twin Reverb, 2x12 at a local store for $600. I think it's the reissue, it's definitely not the Tone Master, but even then this seems like a great deal. Is it? It looks to be in really good shape. I didn't get a chance to ask questions or play through it because I was in a hurry and the owner was on the phone.

What should I be looking at on something like this?
 
Make sure the reverb and tremolo are working okay. I was playing through one the other day and the tremolo was very mild and underwhelming, not like other Twins I have played.
 
$600 sounds like deal to me. But super heavy, if you were to flip it, I would plan on being able to ship it.
 
Power it up and let it get nice and warm...look at all the tubes to make sure they're lighting up and working...if any are significantly brighter that will indicate a problem...other than that bring a weightlifting belt...
 
LOL. Thanks all. It's a big beast and I definitely don't need an amp that big but $600 for a Twin Reverb just seems hard to pass up.
 
Its like any other used tube amp.
Fire it up and run it thru its paces and if it seems good take your chances.
Then have a good tech on speed dial just in case.
 
I picked up a 1974 Twin Reverb at a pawn shop for $300 a few months ago. Sounds great.
 
I would like to see- The receipt from the amp tech that recently went through it. Sans that, find out what year it was made/how old it is. If it's old enough, I would want to see inside the amp, to see if the caps are bulging, look like they are ready to give birth.

Even if it's not old, I'd still want to see inside, see if anything got really hot, and, or, signs of repair by someone that watched a you tube video, then fixed their amp.
 
Add on the price of a back support brace to move the sucker. They sound glorious, but are way too loud and heavy for my money.
 
also, if it doesn't have them already.....put casters on it.
helps tremendously when moving. :idea:
:thu:
 
Back
Top